Thursday, August 21, 2008

Quick Update

Since I just started the job and have been getting royally bent over by the Nebraska Department of Labor (ie, Unemployment), we still have no camera so we're lacking photos (and I can't afford to develop the 9 rolls of film I have!) but I thought I'd just do a quick update of what we've been doing.

I started my new job on Tues, Aug 18th and so far I'm just doing all the getting settled in things - here's your desk, introductions that I never remember (thank goodness for name plates on each person's cube), this where this is and that is where that's at, etc. I have started looking at the material I will be working with and I think I will catch on fine, it will just be all the caveats of each state, county, city's different election rules!

The big change with the new job is our schedule...going from sleeping in til 9 or so to me getting up at 5-5:30 a.m. and Zoie around 6. We've both been zombies this week! LOL I know we'll get used to it but this is the hard part - especially around 3:00 in the afternoon when I could very easily lay my head on my desk and snooze away! Ha! Zoie still gets her nap each day thank goodness so she's really been doing pretty good with the change.

Before all this, we went to the little carnival at the Lancaster County Fair one evening and Zoie rode some rides - but only a couple as I did NOT trust those clankety death traps! Grandma and I joined her on the Merry-Go-Round and that was fun and we were also watching The K's cats while they were in Knoxville, IA, for sprint car nationals. Zoie loves going to "Mardee's House" whether he's there or not! Then last weekend we went to an open house that her preschool had...their theme was a Beary Special Day so she got to make crafts dealing with bears (masks, Goldilocks & the 3 bears - or 13 in Zoie's interpretation - and other things like that)...she enjoyed being at her school and seeing kids that are in the same room as her as well as showing Mommy & Grandma around. Other than this we just spent as much time together before it was back to the grind.

Losing a job is always a blow to one's confidence regardless of what reason they give you but those who know me, know I believe in everything happening for a reason. So, in between the stress of not having money and the tediousness of job hunting, I have been blessed to have one of the best summers I've had in years. When Zoie was born, I only got a true 2 weeks off and then worked from home for a couple of weeks but I missed out on being able to have 12 weeks like some mothers get or even the standard 6 wks before going back to work. Then when she was 6 months old we moved from TX to NE and things were crazy non-stop since then so I feel like I finally got my maternity leave with Zoie! We created some really great memories over the summer that I will cherish. I'm so thankful for this and for the new job that will give us other opportunities to make memories!


I borrowed Auntie Lindsay's camera to take some pics of clothes to sell and snapped this one of Zoie on 8/12/08 so this is her most recent...check the pucker!


I also got a new do...just in time for my 2nd interview...must have done the trick! And it's so versatile...ha!

4 comments:

t said...

Congratulations once again, Heather! You'll get used to it. Took me a good 3-4 months to finally feel totally comfortable here.

Our state is one of the WORST for unemployment benefits, I would chalk it up to Republican values. In MA, it's far, far easier.

I don't know how you get up at 5am, sister! That is the middle of the night for me. I'm up at 7:15, lol.

I firmly don't believe in "everything happens for a reason," but do believe it's possible for good to come out of any situation. In short, it's good that you are working here; I think it will do wonders for your home life and just helps to get out each day. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but would be careful about mentioning the E word or where I worked on my blog--totally up to you, but then I am SO cautious about what people can google to get to it.

Love Zoie's pucker. Don't blame ya for not putting her on some of those rides at the carnival! Next year we should take our kids to the state fair together.

~ H ~ said...

I've had too many instances where things have gone not the way I wanted them to at the time only to see why sooner or later...call it "unanswered prayers" or the good in any situation...I'm being guided on a path in this world, but staying on it or venturing off are where my free will comes in.

~ H ~ said...

Oh, yeah...and short of saying where I got a job, my title and what it pertains to (and the travels I might have due to the job), that is about all I say about work on blogs...the company's business is just that and my blog is about MY life and Zoie's...work gets enough of my time as it is! :0) I appreciate the advice though!

t said...

I see what you mean. However, my boss is such a nut that I cannot resist sharing some of his antics with my faithful readers. So I don't put my co. name or I would get canned, LOL!!

Yes, I definitely think good can come from probably any situation. But it doesn't always...