Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Hospital Stay and the Splits

Like a lot of people, we've been fighting sickness the later part of winter...Zoie's had some times here & there where she's had a really bad cold that the Dr thought might have been strep (it wasn't luckily) and then another with severe fever (over 102 degrees) that was a little bit of ear infection...in between Zoie's bouts, Mom has gotten a really bad cold, too. We thought she had gotten over it and then wham! - it came back full force, with fevers, aches, and all that in tow. One plain old Wednesday evening, Mom was resting and I went to check on her and she was on fire and delirious...I called Gary (my brother) and we decided to get her to the emergency room to get checked out (I was really worried it was the flu) - the only problem was that, in her feverish state, she was a little combative and wouldn't go anywhere. I told her she could go in the car with me or I'd call the rescue squad - guess what option happened? Yep, flashing red lights & sirens it was...along with a fire truck since they had to administer oxygen. Talk about a fantasy...7-8 firefighters were all surrounding her bed! LOL She gave them a hard time as well but then got her to get up and on the stretcher and to the hospital. It turned out that she had pneumonia in BOTH of her lungs...yikes!! They got the oxygen going and IV anti-biotics, plus breathing treatments, and she just got to rest for a good 5 days.

Zoie & I were there with her as much as we could be. I thought Zoie might be afraid of going into the hospital but she was rather intrigued and interested. She was very glad to see Gramma and liked laying in her hospital bed and watching the tv up on the wall! Ha! Gramma always tried to get 'extra' goodies from the nurses to have waiting for Zoie - all the good hospital stuff like jello, pudding, 7-up, ice cream & cookies!




Mom is home now and resting still...getting stronger every day, thank the Lord!

Well, until the next post.......oh, wait...the "splits" part of the post title?

Ok - Leave it to me to do something like this: As the EMTs were putting Mom on the stretcher outside our front door, I was up on the stoop but was in the way so I stepped off into the grass with one foot (quite a leg stretch to begin with) and when my flip-flop hit the wet grass...ZOOM!..into the full-on splits I went then BOOM on the ground!! I don't think the EMTs knew whether to help me up or bust out laughing (I would have laughed myself)! I scraped up my left ankle and really strained & bruised the hamstring on my right leg but in light of what was going on at the time, I was fine. Maybe subconsiously I was trying to get the attention of the hunky EMTs...NOT. My flip-flop did leave a nice skid-mark in the front yard though.

0 comments: